Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Angry Much???

Anger. It's a powerful emotion!  Just thinking about the word conjures all kinds of memories. Mostly memories of me wanting to rip someone's head off.
I know, I know that isn't very nice. Right?
I hate feeling angry. I hate confrontation, but I'm not afraid of it either.
Anger, frustration, feelings of powerlessness can be overwhelming catalysts; sometimes sparking a detructive swath a mile wide.
However, it is the same emotional set that can spur a life changing transformation.
It has the power to create, as well as to destroy.
Incredible, isn't it?
Let me tell you a little story about an epiphany of mine.
I came home from class last night and I was talking to my husband about religion; and as I was standing there going on and on about it I realized that: I am an angry person.
I said that to my husband. Out loud. "I am an angry person," I said.
He genuinely looked sad for me, and began to nod slightly, indicating his agreement. "I know, honey, but you have reasons to be. You had kind of a rough go of things." He looked a little sheepish like admitting that might bring him a world of grief later, but I brushed the look aside and pressed on.
"I really am angry; about so many things, and I don't know how to fix it."
It seemed inconsequential, this little exchange, but in reality it was incredibly important. I'd felt the feelings of anger on so many occasions, but I never thought to identify myself as an "angry person".
Oops! Gotta go!
To be continued......

No comments:

Post a Comment